I have seen through number of self proclaimed hyped reports on number of internet users in India and putting that number as high as 100 Million . This is quite far from reality.Here are some numbers.
- According Census 2011 of India there are 15.54 Million households (6.3% of total population) in India who have computer/laptops in their homes.
- However Only 7.6 Million households (3.1% of total population) have laptops/ computers with internet.
- Maharashtra is the biggest Indian Internet market with 18% of Total Internet households followed by Tamil Nadu with 10%, Karnataka 8.27% , U.P (Noida inclusive) 8.18%, Delhi 7.68% and Andhra Pradesh with 7.15%.
- Delhi/NCR inclusive of Noida and Gurgaon would however have much higher numbers.
However this is just statistics for Home users there are definitely a large number of users accessing internet in India through offices and cyber cafes but then you should see the data points provide by the two largest players in Indian market.Facebook and Google.
- Facebook allows you to target 45.82 Million users in India
- Google's Adwords says that it has a reach of 14.5 Million users through Search in India
- Number of Active users per month as per Google's Ad Planner is 30.7 Million
- However as per IAMAI total internet users in India is 100 Million and as per Comscore it is close to 50 Million.
Number of Broadband connection in India are however 13.42 Million as of Jan 2012
Other interesting data point according to Census of India 2011 is that
- 63 % of Indians own a Telephone connection.
- 47.2 % of Indians own a Television
- 19.9 % of Indians own a Radio/Transistors
To Summarize here are
India Internet Statistics 2012
- India has 7.6 Million Households having internet
- 13.42 Million broadband connections (Home + Offices ) combined.
- Maximum targettable audience using one site in India is Facebook with 45.82 Million
- Active user base per month in India is close to 30 Million mark which is still a pretty large market but not as big as portrayed by some consultants.